...wherein a girl packs up her dissertation and moves to the Pacific Northwest to learn what it means to build a life as a someone's partner, finish a dissertation, and make a life and home in Seattle, WA .

Monday, December 12, 2011

Winter Blues - SAD Lamp to Happier Self

I don't like talking about the fact that things get me down - life, the dissertation, the weather, stupid emails from stupid people, that woman who looked at me with such ire in Barre class, etc.  Nothing makes me happier than when my dearest Partner comes home at the end of the day and gives me a big hug.  But still, there are those 10 other hours of the day in which I must write, work, and run errands in this rather gray city that every now and again seems to sap a lot out of me.

The winter has always gotten to me.  Less so when I lived in a place where winter activity abounded or when I lived in places where I knew lots fun and awesome people - hello Bread Loaf!  But this year, because I am living with someone I love, who does not deserve to have to put up with my very moody self if I can help it, I invested in one of those SAD Lamps.

Verilux Lamp on our giant, shared desk

I guess I can't say whether or not it is working for me as I am not 100% consistent in my usage of it.  I think it is helping some as I am not feeling nearly as bad as I know that I could.  Today, however, I know that I need it as it is dark out.  I don't think the sun will be peeping out at all and I really could use something to pick me up and keep me going while I write, write, write away on the dissertation.

No comments:

Post a Comment